Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Dinners with Vince…by Stacey Fisher














According to a companion, Thackeray, when presented with a half-dozen 6 to 8 inch oysters common at the time: He first selected the smallest one...and then bowed his head as though he were saying grace. Opening his mouth very wide, he struggled for a moment, after which all was over. I shall never forget the comic look of despair he cast upon the other five over-occupied shells. I asked him how he felt. 'Profoundly grateful,' he said, 'as if I had swallowed a small baby.'
William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)

I arrive from Michigan at Chris and Vince’s Brooklyn brownstone on a very warm August afternoon and burst into tears. Why? A newborn baby. Yes, my best friend, Chris, from way back when, from the years of middle school, no less, has had a baby, and I see him and I can’t hold back the tears. I have my youngest in tow, nine-year-old Anja, who is ecstatic to be in the real New York City! Here begins our two-week-long adventure with Chris, Vince, and newborn baby Luca.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t the only one crying. It was hot and sticky and our baby had a bit of colic and he was really letting us know. Chris and Vince were a tad frazzled, so I put on my mommy shoes and worked a little of my baby magic. Soon Luca was calm, Chris was busy pumping (wasn’t that a sight--I’m not sure she appreciated Anja’s giggles), and Vince was in charge of feeding us.

Thus began our culinary adventures in takeout in Brooklyn, NY. We enjoyed many multicultural meals in the August heat. Vince would either order when he got in from work or sometimes he would arrive from work already clutching dinner in brown paper bags. We took turns holding the baby, and enjoyed Indian, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, and Japanese. We even managed an outing to Coney Island for a hot dog, although that was a bit ambitious with a five-week-old infant. We soon were back in the car, much to Anja’s consternation.

I’ve enjoyed many meals with Vince. I’ve enjoyed his food, his laughter, his conversation and graciousness, his never-ending upbeat and curiosity-filled outlook on life. But those hot August days when we were all at the beginning of something new will always remain a sweet and special memory.

My best friend is very lucky. Happy Birthday, Vince. May we all enjoy many more memorable meals together in the years to come.

No comments: