Friday, January 23, 2009

The Ratings Game














Vince likes to play this little game, apparently because it's fun to torture himself. Whenever he makes dinner, he forces me to rate it. So I do. And I'm honest. Because Vince is very thick-skinned in most ways, and because, well, I can't help but be honest, even if it hurts. So a dinner will not just get an A, B, etc., but a gradation of that--A- or B+--with full commentary. This is all on Vince's insistence, you understand.

Now anyone who has had Vince's cooking knows it rarely falls short of a great meal. So really, a B+ for Vince is like an A for the rest of us. But he's the type of person who always sees room for improvement, a trait that can be maddening at times but in all is a very, very good thing. (He's pushed me in more ways than one, to my benefit. Thank you, honey. :P)

So a typical "ratings game" dinner conversation might go like this. 

Vince: "So what do you think? How is the risotto?"
Me: "Okay, it's great overall. But here's what I would say. I think it's a bit dusky."
Vince: "What? Dusky?! What does that mean?"
Me: "Well, it could use a little brightening, really. I like the mushroom flavor but it needs a little something to bring it up. I think some sort of sweet herb could do the trick, or maybe a handful of sun-dried tomatoes."
Vince: "What?! It's perfect, though, isn't it? I mean, how would you rate it?"
Me: "Honestly? Because, you know, I have to be honest."
Vince: [Nods head, looks down anxiously.]
Me: "I'd have to give it a B+ to an A-."
Vince: "What?! B+?!"
Me: [Nodding.] "And I think a bit more lemon."

Vince clutches his head and moans in agony, a very Italian gesture. He then challenges my "review," but eventually agrees. Ah, just another low-pressure meal in the Bielski-Borris household. 

xo,
Chris

No comments: