Monday, January 26, 2009

My Dinner With Vince | By Mike France



















When it comes to food, my wife is from Venus and I am from Mars. She comes from the planet where people are knowledgeable about food, can detect sophisticated spices, enjoy subtle flavors, and can say intelligent things about cuisine. I come from the planet where people react in a simple, arithmetic way to butter, salt, and sugar. The greatest tribute I can pay to Vince is that he makes dinners that my wife and I both love. Again, and again, and again. The ribs, the eggplant parmigiana, the guacamole, the margaritas. Lowbrow enough for me, highbrow enough for her. Too many weekend chefs aim high and execute low. Vince is the opposite. Something about being the intellectual from Michigan has created a democratic, unpretentious food sensibility that targets $9 entrees and makes them taste like $30 entrees. In my book, that's as good as it gets. 

No comments: